Photo

La Laine Froide: Article on Summer Weight Wools (In French)

Stiff Collar blog Julien Scavini summer weight wool French tailoring terms

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

Stiff Collar has a post on wool suitable for summer business clothes. He describes the characteristics of different wool fibers and how they are woven.  Google Translate will help to a degree.*  "La Laine Froide" literally means "Cold Wool". I assume that it would be translated as "summer-weight wool." Please correct me if that's wrong.

I find articles like this useful because, in addition to the information, it can be extremely hard to find sewing and tailoring terms in other languages.

*If you use Google Chrome, right click anywhere in the article and you will be offered the option to have the page translated. BTW, for "son" read "thread." The word "fils" in French is used for both and many articles for which I've used Google Translate have this problem.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Learner

Learner

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

"La Laine Froide" literally means "Cold Wool". I assume that it would be translated as "summer-weight wool." Please correct me if that's wrong.

If you type "Laine Froide" directly into Google Translate, it returns "Cool Wool", which is how I would probably have translated the article's title, but since the article is not specifically focused on the actual Woolmark "Cool Wool" brand specification, "summer-weight" or "warm-climate" are probably better.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

If you type "Laine Froide" directly into Google Translate, it returns "Cool Wool", which is how I would probably have translated the article's title, but since the article is not specifically focused on the actual Woolmark "Cool Wool" brand specification, "summer-weight" or "warm-climate" are probably better.

Thanks. I'd never heard of "Cool Wool", but I don't pretend to know much about wool.  I looked up "fresco" and found that it's both a type of weave and a trademark.

#4 Learner

Learner

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:18 AM

That does seem to be the case.  "Fresco" was/is a trademark of J&J Minnis (now Hardy Minnis); the specific properties of Fresco being a high twist yarn in an open, plain weave.  The term seems to have been adopted as a generic name for this type of cloth like "Hoover" or "Kleenex".  Fresco was available in a variety of weights; the heaviest that Hardy Minnis currently offer is 16 oz.  "Cool Wool", on the other hand, focuses on the staple diameter, and to meet the brand specification, the cloth must weigh less than 7 oz.

• tailleuse and SPOOKIETOO like this

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

That does seem to be the case.  "Fresco" was/is a trademark of J&J Minnis (now Hardy Minnis); the specific properties of Fresco being a high twist yarn in an open, plain weave.  The term seems to have been adopted as a generic name for this type of cloth like "Hoover" or "Kleenex".  Fresco was available in a variety of weights; the heaviest that Hardy Minnis currently offer is 16 oz.  "Cool Wool", on the other hand, focuses on the staple diameter, and to meet the brand specification, the cloth must weigh less than 7 oz.

I learned yesterday that "charvet" is used generically as well. Previously, I'd only heard of the tie maker, Charvet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stiff Collar blog, Julien Scavini, summer weight wool, French tailoring terms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users