• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#19 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi Mansie, the second photo looks surprisingly modern, in the others the shorts look very dated, I guess 1910 IS a long time ago. Thanks for posting these photos.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#20 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

I love the belts.

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#21 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

Next to my sons school rowing rooms, there is the Adelaide Rowing Club who claim to be Izingari sportsmen.

Their blazers are just as Jukes described, boldly striped, though invariably appallingly fitted and atrociously tailored.  

I'm certain the Ponsonby's and Penruddocke Long's would be turning in their graves.

I've always liked rowing blazers. Here's a book on them. But a casual navy blue jacket with brass buttons is a different kind of blazer.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#22 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

When I was at school (which was over thirty years ago), blazers (usually black, less commonly grey, and occasionally some other colour entirely) were pretty much a ubiquitous part of the school uniform at all UK secondary schools, and some primary schools, for boys at least.  "Posher" schools (which is what "public school" connotes in the UK (I'm aware that it has a different meaning in the US) were rather less likely to have a blazer as part of the uniform. 

Striped blazers were more for "messing about in boats" a la Jerome K Jerome (http://www.moviemail...?stillID=102892) than for rowing clubs - although some rowing clubs wore/wear striped blazers, they're just as likely to have worn blazers with trimmed edges like the jacket worn by Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner:

wpf96f83ae_06.png

NB: this is not the Prisoner jacket, it's a Kingston Grammar School Boat Club blazer.  I chose this picture because it illustrates the original salient feature of the blazer from which its name derives; the blazing red colour.  The earliest blazers were worn by the Lady Margaret Boat Club, in 1825.  The Wikipedia entry on blazers cites a letter published in the London Daily News in 1889 which states:

"A blazer is the red flannel boating jacket worn by the Lady Margaret, St. John's College, Cambridge, Boat Club. When I was at Cambridge it meant that and nothing else. It seems from your article that a blazer now means a colored flannel jacket, whether for cricket, tennis, boating, or seaside wear". 

The article also suggests that the striped jackets associated with boating were called blazers because a striped jacket was part of the uniform of the crew of the HMS Blazer.

There may, at some point in time in the US, have been some specific distinction between a "California Tuxedo"-type blazer and a sports coat, but I don't think it's a universal one.

My high school, which emulated English public schools, had a uniform blazer very much like this in a different color until shortly before I arrived.  Then they changed to a blazer with thin, machine-made trim.  The ribbon trim is nicer.  Fortunately, it didn't have a big, ostentatious crest on the pocket.  Here's an image of a film about an American girls' boarding school with a similar uniform:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by tailleuse, 07 July 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#23 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

I love the belts.

I love the striped piping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users