46 replies to this topic

#37 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

That's because they've flown/crawled off and died beforehand. I had a moth infestation in my previous house and it was monstrous. Now I do a periodic check of all my garments. In the summer months more frequently because the eggs hatch in a mere two days, whereas in the winter they can take months to appear. The worst thing is that the eggs are nothing more than a sliver of silk "glued" to the garment which you can see by shining a light on it. I check under collars, lapels, pocket flaps, facings and the under armscye where I found grubs on three occasions!

Take no chances, use old-style mothballs; they stink, but they work. Cedarwood is worthless. Luckily I live in a newer house now; fewer dusty nooks and crannies for them to live in.

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#38 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

There are other insects that can do the same damage. Carpet beetles and silverfish are a couple of them. That's another reason you wouldn't see moths.

Also a cedar chest or completely lined cedar closet will also do the job. But I will agree adding a few cedar chips is a waste of money.

Edited by SPOOKIETOO, 11 July 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#39 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Silverfish, yes! I had loads of those too. I still find the odd one in boxes I used to move house.

The cedar closet will run down after while and lose effectiveness. I have a wardrobe with cedar shelves and back and it no longer works. I could replace the innards, but mothballs are a damn sight cheaper.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#40 peterle

peterle

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

Silverfish dissappear when You pour boiling water in each sinks drain. (Nobody knows why)

For smaller amounts of wool, the fabrics can be put in the freezer for several days. This should kill the moths also.

• tailleuse, Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#41 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

Silverfish dissappear when You pour boiling water in each sinks drain. (Nobody knows why)

As a wild stab in the dark, could they probably live in the drains? :D

• cperry and francescaroqueta like this

#42 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

"The cedar closet will run down after while and lose effectiveness...."

A little sanding with sandpaper will restore the effectiveness.

Some cedars are better than others. Perhaps yellow cedar, also known as Alaskan cedar, is the best. Even a few cloth bags of the shavings or sawdust or small branches keep many kinds of bugs away. Shake the bags a few times a year. When fresh cut the scent is very powerful (enough you may not want to be in the same room with it).
  • tailleuse and Henry Hall like this

#43 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

That's a good idea. The bags of shavings should be easier to arrange. I'm going to have a go at sanding the shelves tomorrow.

• tailleuse likes this

#44 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

Put yellow cedar in the autos for a nice scent. To much and it is over powering. Any wood shop that is throwing away scraps will do.
  • tailleuse likes this

#45 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

Cedar shavings need to be replenished often and there needs to be enough for the scent to thoroughly permeate everything.

Cedar lined closets are best when used strictly for out of season storage. Cedar that is constantly exposed to fresh air dries out quickly at the surface and seals the pores so that the scent becomes enclosed in the dry wood. Cedar chests tend to last longer for this reason. Mine is about a hundred years old, my grandparents bought it used when my dad was little. His parents refinishing the chest is one of my dad's earliest memories. I gave it a light sanding a couple of years ago for the first time.
  • cperry, Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#46 francescaroqueta

francescaroqueta

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Down-to-earth former Teen Vogue intern and Columbia University student who decided to leave school to teach myself to sew and figure out how to make my way into the tailoring profession. I presently work at Yardage Town the only fabric store in San Diego (California, USA) county that sells apparel cloth. Learning to respect ALL cloth, be it $1/yard inexpensive polyester or $4,000 /yard vicuņa wool. Humbled to have access to these fora--such a remarkable resource!

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hi there, 

I am just starting to sew collared shirts and wanted to include as much handstitching as possible. I've been inspired do do this after seeing a Borelli shirt up close. I think that the Borelli shirt that I saw differs from the normal machine-made Borelli shirts that are more largely offered in the marketplace. This one featured handstitched shoulder seams and handstitching other places throughout the garment. Nevertheless, I called Lacis to inquire further about the DMC coton à broder (made available in more colors in the 16 and 25 size thread). Erin from Lacis is always a great help! (She is the one interviewed in a University of Fashion video on Lacis' lace museum.) She mentioned that she does sew and do a lot of garment construction and recommended that I do samples using, both, the size 25 and size 16 threads. She went further to suggest a few other finer threads that she might more readily approach of making a buttonhole on fine shirtings. She mentioned the Madiera size 30 "cotona" and the DMC "tubino" cotton lace thread. So, I went ahead and purchased a sample of each in white. I intend on trying to use the size 16 version of the DMC coton à broder as gimp? We shall see when the samples arrive.

I'm still working on learning to make buttonholes in the first place, so we'll see if I can get any worthwhile samples made to post. Just wanted to pass the infos along to the C&T forum. 

Cheers--all the best, Francesca

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#47 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

...I called Lacis to inquire further about the DMC coton à broder (made available in more colors in the 16 and 25 size thread). Erin from Lacis is always a great help! (She is the one interviewed in a University of Fashion video on Lacis' lace museum.) She mentioned that she does sew and do a lot of garment construction and recommended that I do samples using, both, the size 25 and size 16 threads. She went further to suggest a few other finer threads that she might more readily approach of making a buttonhole on fine shirtings. She mentioned the Madiera size 30 "cotona" and the DMC "tubino" cotton lace thread. So, I went ahead and purchased a sample of each in white. I intend on trying to use the size 16 version of the DMC coton à broder as gimp? We shall see when the samples arrive.

Thank you Francesca,

This is very interesting.  I watched the University of Fashion interview with Lacis museum curator a while ago, but remember liking it. I should watch it again. It's good to have a contact name for questions.

I've only been to San Francisco once. I loved it, but wasn't interested in sewing back then. If I returned, I'd definitely visit Lacis and Britex.

Tailleuse

• francescaroqueta likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mary Frittolini, handmade shirts, Italian shirtmakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users