#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

This New York Times graphic discusses a scan of six different men, all of whom were 5 feet 9 inches tall and 172 pounds.  Their body shapes were very different.  I think the focus on BMI taken in the article is a mistake. For years, knowledgeable people have understood that BMI is nothing but a rough guide that assesses populations and that  body fat and muscle percentage are more important. It shouldn't have been a surprise that the BMI wasn't that helpful.

sos_bmi-jumbo.png

"How is it possible that the same B.M.I. can look so different? The simple explanation is that muscle and bone are denser than fat and some people carry more or less weight in their torso or legs."

• Schneiderfrei and francescaroqueta like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

The BMI isn't always helpful, but it isn't completely  worthless either. Most people I see complaining about its inaccuracy think they're Person 3 or 2 when they're actually Person 5 or 1.    :LMAO: 

They claim they have "dense" bones or the musculature of a professional athlete (the people for whom the BMI is inaccurate) when they're just overweight or fat.

#3 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:58 PM

Each to their own I guess, the most accurate test I know of with body fat ratios is buoyancy, people with high muscle mass tend to sink while people with high body fat float well.

• tailleuse and cperry like this

#4 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:42 AM

Each to their own I guess, the most accurate test I know of with body fat ratios is buoyancy, people with high muscle mass tend to sink while people with high body fat float well.

I believe hydrostatic weighing (weighing in water) is still the gold standard for determining body fat percentage.  After that, scanning.  Those methods are of course expensive and inconvenient, which is why insurance companies started using the BMI.  But it has always been considered a rough measure that doesn't take into account bone density and above-average muscle development.

Edited by tailleuse, 11 July 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#5 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

It's not a matter of weight alone, but volume. The amount of fat or adipose tissue a person would need to match someone of the same weight, but with denser muscle mass, would be so visible to even the naked eye that no test is really necessary. They would be more bouyant in water.

Generally if you don't appear overweight and you are quite heavy, you're either very tall or have a lot of lean muscle mass. It's obvious also that if you are developed in some parts and much less developed in others, weight is a useless measure of determining shape.

In the developed world (the one with somewhat poor dietary habits) the observation is of fairly slim people being 'fatter' than they appear, which is more and more down to internal fat deposited around the organs and larger deposits of intramuscular fat. Little do with clothing sizes, but interesting from a health point-of-view.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#6 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

It's not a matter of weight alone, but volume. 

The "V"s in the graphic stand for volume.

#7 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

I think I need to clean my glasses :wacko: .

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#8 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

You get the buoyancy test if you do any swimming. I still sink in high salt content sea water (Hervey Bay on the Queensland coast) and the BMI over years for me has been on the high end of normal due to being tall. BMI is at best a crude tool and to fit clothing, the tape measure and a grasp of posture does a much better job.

• tailleuse likes this

#9 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

The BMI isn't always helpful, but it isn't completely  worthless either. Most people I see complaining about its inaccuracy think they're Person 3 or 2 when they're actually Person 5 or 1.    :LMAO:

They claim they have "dense" bones or the musculature of a professional athlete (the people for whom the BMI is inaccurate) when they're just overweight or fat.

I am person 2 with a lot of person 1 added!

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#10 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

I believe hydrostatic weighing (weighing in water) is still the gold standard for determining body fat percentage.  After that, scanning.  Those methods are of course expensive and inconvenient, which is why insurance companies started using the BMI.  But it has always been considered a rough measure that doesn't take into account bone density and above-average muscle development.

I went swimming once and got harpooned!

#11 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

The "V"s in the graphic stand for volume.

My volume is very loud!

#12 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

Sorry tailleuse, I'm just in that sort of mood tonight! They say fat people are happiest.

• tailleuse, cperry and francescaroqueta like this

#13 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

This must be why I'm often a miserable get.

#14 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

BTW, I just thought the graphics were interesting. I wouldn't it expect this to be news to a professional tailor or anyone who's measured a lot of different bodies. Even people with the exact same measurements can look different because of the way they carry their weight unless we're talking about very specific measurements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users