Photo

Can seersucker jacket shrinkage be predicted?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#19 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

This is the second time you have come out with your mouth in overdrive and your brain in neutral. perhaps its time for this thread to be closed as well and block your IP.

• Naive Jr likes this

#20 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

The Gagliardi representative just replied their seersucker jacket must be dry cleaned because it is fused. So I asked what happens to the fusing when the jacket is washed, and I told him I'd mention his reply in the thread asking about seersucker shrinkage in the Cutter & Tailor forum open to non-professionals.

Was it not obvious that it was fused? And once you know it is, why do you need to ask what will happen when you wash it?? That was the reason for the dry clean label! I hand-wash many things and try to be careful. It's a gamble and the labels are there for a reason.

I thought you were serious at first, but this is one of the most obtuse series of posts I've seen on here. 

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#21 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

Seersucker is a method of weave. The finishers most likely soaked it in fire retardant and wrinkle resistance chemicals, and who knows what else. How much did they shrink it? Good question. The bigger clothing factories do lots of sample testing. Smaller companies don't have the money nor expertise for lots of sample testing. Life is chance, you win some and loose some.

#22 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

Seersucker is a method of weave. 

I didn't know that.  :thumbsup:

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#23 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

That's what I meant. The dry-clean only label would be there in lieu of a wash label.

Hahaha. After Schneidergott showed us his label collection, now arises need to know if the RTW manufacturers attach them! Good question because there's no label about how to clean the seersucker jacket to be seen nor any mention of how to clean to read on the Gagliardi website. - There is, however, a deep reaching difference if I know why I do something or if I do not know the reason. Some like to follow orders, some like to know why.

Edited by Naive Jr, 07 August 2015 - 09:37 AM.

Scribimus indocti doctique poemata passim

#24 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

I didn't know that.  :thumbsup:

That's not surprising because you did not submit generalisations for seersucker shrinkage under varying conditions of water temperature and heat. Although now that Gagliardi has stated washing their seersucker jackets would have an effect on its being fused, what about seersucker shrinkage?
Not all seersucker jackets are fused. Is shrinkage only at the sleeves, or do chest and waist shrink, too? To what extent is the shrinkage increased by machine drying at which temperature? There questions csn onky be answered by persons who work with seersucker. I guess I must ask the seersucker manufacturer, if the seersucker jacket manufacturer orvtailor is willing to disclose his seersucker source.

Edited by Naive Jr, 07 August 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#25 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

No, it was not obvious that the Gagliardi jacket was fused. I must ask Kent Wang how can his seersucker jacket be constructed to be washable without fusing. All other seersucker jackets offered by RTW tailors I've seen advertised specify dry cleaning, but never say why.

Edited by Naive Jr, 07 August 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#26 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

Seersucker is a method of weave. The finishers most likely soaked it in fire retardant and wrinkle resistance chemicals, and who knows what else. How much did they shrink it? Good question. The bigger clothing factories do lots of sample testing. Smaller companies don't have the money nor expertise for lots of sample testing. Life is chance, you win some and loose some.

So seersucker is really not a cloth or fabric of much interest to tailors, because I cannot imagine tailors speaking so casually, indifferently about their favourite cloths. Perhaps there simply isn't much bespoke seersucker tailoring because there are far better lightweight cloths and because the climate doesn't require it?

Edited by Naive Jr, 07 August 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#27 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

This is the second time you have come out with your mouth in overdrive and your brain in neutral. perhaps its time for this thread to be closed as well and block your IP.

Hutch, I think you are quite right! It is indeed time for this thread to be closed, so I say goodbye! I've learned so much and must now think about it all.

(Please do be careful about the aura of all those big snippers - there's more there than meets the eye! Do you remember that children's game, Hutch, which includes the others: rock and paper - for balance?)

Thanks very much to all you dear posters for your interest!

Edited by Naive Jr, 07 August 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#28 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

Most ridiculous thread of 2015.

#29 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Most ridiculous thread of 2015.

Best Jespersen quote of all time;
Möge it be practiced!

#30 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

To the point of parody it seems. Go and wash your seersucker coat.

• Naive Jr likes this

#31 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

:acute:

Do you remember that children's game

It still holds that a dimwit and his credibility are easily parted.  :hyper: 

• Naive Jr likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users