Photo

Delightful Visit to Forum Member shirtmaven’s Business

CEGO Custom Shirtmaker Carl Goldberg NYC Shirtmakers Custom Shirts C & T Members Businesses shirtmaven Forum Members Shops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

[Note:  If there's a better section in the forum for this, please re-post.]

In the five years I’ve belonged to this forum, it’s been a privilege to read about techniques and receive suggestions from people who are professional tailors and custom clothiers.  Not long ago, I was able to visit one.

Shirtmaven, a member of the forum, invited me to visit his business, CEGO Custom Shirtmaker, which is on Fifth Avenue, near 28th Street in Manhattan.  I went with a friend who’s in the Menswear program at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

As you can see from the website photos, it’s a charming little shop with an eye-boggling array of fabrics: We felt like Daisy in the scene with the shirts in The Great Gatsby.  We marveled, but managed not to cry.

Along with custom shirts and other garments, the firm makes costumes for Broadway shows like Thérèse Raquin (starring Kiera Knightley), Beauty and the Beast, and Fiddler on the Roof (jokingly referred to by shirtmaven as “Shetl Style”).

A few weeks ago, I visited another small menswear company in the same area.  Tell me, do all men’s shops feature a minibar?   :)  It must be fun to amble in after work, sip a whisky and talk about one’s clothing needs while reviewing fabric and mother of pearl buttons.

The lining shirtmaven gave us was very welcome. A person studying menswear can never have too much lining. The pièce de résistance (a French term seems appropriate) was his gift to me of a handmade French jacket owned by his late father. The tailor was Feruch.  It has many beautiful details and will be a valuable reference.

We hope this visit marked the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :)

shirtmaven, again, many thanks!

Tailleuse

Edited by tailleuse, 12 November 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• Schneiderfrei and greenlake like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 shirtmaven

shirtmaven

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:instagram cegonyc

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

it was my pleasure.

Always happy to share information to others in the trade.

both students as well as established tailors/shirtmakers.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#3 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Nice to hear about a meeting-up of forum members.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#4 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

A pleasure to see a well run business that makes high quality products. I had a look at the web site and its a good product range at very reasonable pricing for high quality work. The computerised cutting system makes good sense on a production basis to keep costs down while getting the required accuracy. The custom service of individually designed patterns is more high end but still probably cost competitive to other custom shirt makers. Its good to see a manufacturer who makes high quality clothing in his own country instead of shoving the work off to the slave labour pits of Indo-China and the like.

• tailleuse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users