39 replies to this topic

#19 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

So glad you're up and running again. Can you believe that I actually got round to doing some sewing while the site was down, ha ha!

:yes: A few people have said that they actually did more sewing during the absence. 

• tailleuse, SPOOKIETOO and ChiTownTailor like this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#20 Mars Atratus

Mars Atratus

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

I see most others had a similar reaction. I was having panic attacks everytime I tried to access the site and found it down. SO GLAD IT'S BACK!
  • tailleuse likes this

#21 suitcust

suitcust

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

It is great to see this forum resumed ! Members were guessing you wanted to make it die silently and it turned out due to software problem lol

Just like what other members said. If you need help, just let us know. Tailoring is a hard business. Nowadays, people are too obsessive with technology and giving up the traditions of tailoring for higher margin. Your place is definitely one of the most valuable platforms of safeguarding the beauty of tailoring.

Keep going & cheers !    

• tailleuse and Alkoreiel like this

#22 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

I see most others had a similar reaction. I was having panic attacks everytime I tried to access the site and found it down. SO GLAD IT'S BACK!

Actually, I said several times that it seemed hard to believe that Sator would simply shut it down without some kind of message.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#23 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

I have to say - this site is such a valuable information resource. It's genuinely irreplaceable. Is there any way in which we could take steps to prevent this happening again? Maybe a backup of the site could be regularly updated, on another server? Or could some of the senior members be given webmaster access, so that the entire responsibility does not rest on Sator's shoulders?

• Alkoreiel likes this

Manners Maketh Man.

#24 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

It is regularly crawled and archived by the wayback machine at archive.org.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#25 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

Glad this place isn't gone.
Hope you do some writing here again, Sator.
Since this place opened clothing styles have gone through some changes. From average to skinny, and now heading towards wider. Not to mention, shorter. The younger generations have been taught average is correct are finding out there is more to the clothing life.

#26 theBlackSheep

theBlackSheep

Umsie

• Senior Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

phew, welcome back.

s.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#27 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

It is regularly crawled and archived by the wayback machine at archive.org.

Yes, thanks for the info, but when C&T was down I visited that location, and it wouldn't allow me to access most of the content. The message I received when I tried to access forum threads was something like "You do not have permission to do that." This may have been because I wasn't signed in, but it wouldn't accept my login. Is it even possible to 'sign in' to a Wayback Machine archive? If not, how can we view protected material? Has anyone else checked whether that content is accessible?

Edited by SpaceMonkey, 17 March 2016 - 04:20 PM.

Manners Maketh Man.

#28 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

It is not possible to sign in to the archived items.  They don't work.  So that was a tragedy.

• SpaceMonkey likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#29 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Well that's odd because I had complete access. Trying to access the older snapshots from 2009/2010 sometimes gave me the 'no permission' reply, but everything that is in the older snapshots is in the most recent snapshots. These are not restricted. I wasn't signed in went it went down.

#30 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Even in the professional fora, and advanced apprentice?

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#31 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

Yes, in there too.

#32 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

I'd say that until the Wayback Machine works properly for all visitors, it's not actually an effective 'open' backup. We really need something that everyone can access easily. 

Manners Maketh Man.

#33 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

The Wayback Machine works in the same way for everyone. I don't have any special privileges.

Perhaps you mean searching within the snapshots? Well, yes. I can't do that either. But navigating around the site is possible, even if i is more work than using the search.

Edited by Henry Hall, 18 March 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#34 Aprendiz mexicano

Aprendiz mexicano

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi all on the forum, I'm really happy to see it is running up normaly again...after several days with no activity at all on it , I was very sad about the lost of this great great resource like the C&T forum it is indeed...
And now I want to say a big THANKS A LOT for the enormous effort to keep this great site working up again for all of us, thanks again!!!
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#35 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:47 AM

Apologies everyone for the time it took to fix the software issues causing the forum to go down. As you can see, services have been restored again

Hello Sator,

Had me quite worried, happy to know that all is well.

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#36 Carusso

Carusso

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thank you Sator 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users