#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Interview with the senior shoemaker at Foster & Son, a London establishment.  I see that the address is Jermyn Street.  Traditionally, were the shoemakers on that street, along with the shirtmakers?

• ChiTownTailor likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

Excellent. I love this bit:

VR: Why classics instead of fashion?

EM: With fashion, you need to keep creating new designs constantly. That, to me, is very tiring. Even with classics they do have trends but the movement is very slow. That’s what I feel comfortable with. My master always says, in terms of shoe designs, that all were completed around the 1930’s & after that it has been going around in this same circle.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#3 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

I enjoyed this, too.  I feel proven wrong that a lady would not enjoy working with leather. :)  Also appreciate the quote that Henry highlighted. Good interview.

• tailleuse likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foster & Son, Cordwainers College, bespoke shoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users