7 replies to this topic

#1 airtailor

airtailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

My name is Joshua and I'm the founder of a nationwide clothing alteration and repair startup called Air Tailor (www.airtailor.com). How it works is: whenever a customer needs something altered or repaired, they simply send us a text message and we help them prepare it – see example:

Animated_iPhone_Air_Tailor_Customer_Conv

The customer can either schedule a messenger (as shown above), or ship their garments – most choose to ship. We're currently doing all of the alterations in-house, but are looking to partner with alteration shops throughout the country to join us. If your shop is looking to take on more alteration/repair work, please send me a message on here or email us at hello@airtailor.com

Thank you!

Joshua

#2 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

And this works??? The client pins out what must be altered??
lg
posaune
  • ChiTownTailor likes this

#3 shirtmaven

shirtmaven

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:instagram cegonyc

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:05 AM

I live in NYC.  I would never allow a bike messenger to pick up a garment bag filled with expensive clothing.

when you mean text, are you referring to photos sent by text.

if the photo is elf taken by hand in front of a mirror, it will be off.

Have you seen the self photos posted on style forum.

add a pocket to a t-shirt.  where is the fabric coming from?

how do you pin the garment on yourself.  you still need another set of hands.

oh and those safety pins leave huge holes in a shirt.

Service Price Shirt Sleeves Length Taken Up – with cuff     the term is shorten sleeves  are you moving a sleeve placket $25 Shirt Sleeves Length Taken Up – without cuff   what is the difference?   $15 Shirt Side Seams Taken In – button-up shirt $20 Shirt Side Seams Taken In – regular shirt    what is the difference?   is this a polo/knit shirt? $15 Shirt Sleeves Taken In   the term is taper. $25 Long Into Short Sleeve Shirt  doing this correctly  is not just cutting off the sleeve and turning the hem under $15 Add Pocket To T-Shirt     where does the fabric come from $20 Shirt Hem Taken Up      shorten the sleeves $20 Shirt Shoulders Taken In         good luck with this one. $25 Shirt Collar Reshape    this i want to see $30

FYI  I am a custom shirtmaker.

how did your first round of funding go....

Edited by shirtmaven, 03 April 2016 - 12:46 AM.

• jeffrey2117 likes this

#4 airtailor

airtailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi Carl,

Nice to hear from you and I appreciate your questions. Let me first start off by saying that this photo from your Instagram is adorable: https://www.instagra...aken-by=cegonyc I am also fascinated to learn about your Sta-Up collars. We partner with a company called Million Dollar Collar, read more here: http://airtailor.com...rumbling-collar And your work at Cego, wow – what an inspiration.

We've found bike messengers to be an excellent addition to our operation. UberRUSH insures all of our deliveries, so if in the worst possible scenario something were to happen, the customer would be covered.

Yes, a customer can send photos, but by "texting", we mean that customers can have the entire conversation with us via text. This video may be helpful in explaining our process more in depth: https://lookback.io/...HhhtaWejJvcivE9 It may be helpful to understand that our team is responding back to customers, not a robot. We field questions/photos/requests just like a tailor at a shop does in person.

For adding a pocket to a shirt, the customer provides the pocket fabric, and we let them know via text should they not be aware. Usually the customer will have something in mind before requesting the service.

You asked how the customer pins the garment on themselves. Not all customer preparation processes require help from someone else, but for the ones that do, take a look at this example:

Shirt_Side_Seams_Taken_In.png

Re: your concern of safety pin leaving holes in shirts. Usually we are sewing where the safety pins were, so the issue isn't evident. 

Now regarding your corrections with our service titles, our service is aimed at people that are unfamiliar with tailoring jargon/terminology. We set out to make alterations more accessible for everyday people. For example, most people may not assume that "shirt sleeve taper" means "shirt sleeves taken in", so we simply call it "shirt sleeves taken in" to avoid any confusion.

In conclusion, I understand we are doing things a bit different, but I can assure you that we are carefully considering all of your points as we continue to build our business. From early testing, we realized that we really can't take the conversation aspect out of alterations/repairs. Streamlining a very custom-oriented industry is not easy, but I believe we are onto something with Air Tailor. We have not yet raised funding, as we are growing organically.

#5 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hello All,

Below is a link to Chinese bicycle delivery, enjoy!

https://www.youtube....h?v=J7WCbP9vDkk

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#6 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

For adding a pocket to a shirt, the customer provides the pocket fabric, and we let them know via text should they not be aware. Usually the customer will have something in mind before requesting the service.

Really? Contrast pockets will be in style then because it will be impossible for the customer to find matching fabric.

Now regarding your corrections with our service titles, our service is aimed at people that are unfamiliar with tailoring jargon/terminology. We set out to make alterations more accessible for everyday people. For example, most people may not assume that "shirt sleeve taper" means "shirt sleeves taken in", so we simply call it "shirt sleeves taken in" to avoid any confusion.

Sorry but I disagree with dumbing things down. Call it by its proper name, give people a diagram if necessary.

Perhaps this is an april fools post? Taking a shirt in down the CB is certainly funny.
  • ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#7 airtailor

airtailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Yes, contrast pockets are in style – take a look.

air_tailor_pocket_on_tshirt_large.gif?17

#8 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:17 AM

"Recruit a friend on this. Put the shirt on, then pull the excess material back to the center back. Safety pin the fabric together down a vertical line to your desired fit. Make sure you can move comfortably."

☝️Good Lord no! Are you having a laugh?
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users