#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

Post from The Notebook, Anderson & Sheppard's apprentices' blog, on turn back cuffs.  Never having heard of this detail, I had to Google it.

TurnBAckCuffOnASuit.jpg

Here  are some other examples.

What do you think of turn back cuffs?

Edited by tailleuse, 18 April 2016 - 02:21 AM.

• ChiTownTailor likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

On shirts they also called portofino cuffs?  Also cocktail cuffs I just discovered.  My friend requested them for a shirt I recently made.

But for a Jacket?  The quest for something different never ceases.  They would bother me.

Edited by Schneiderfrei, 17 April 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#3 SealKing

SealKing

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

I don't like them on this particular jacket but on leisure jackets, overcoats or black tie they can look stunning whit the right proportion.

One drawback is that it is impossible to have sleeve length adjusted on these...

• tailleuse likes this

#4 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

I knew them as "gauntlet cuffs". And it's quite an old feature.

• tailleuse and ChiTownTailor like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#5 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

Of course :), I first wrote the "The quest for something new" but quickly realized that there is nothing really new.

• tailleuse and SPOOKIETOO like this

Shell made out of gold

#6 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:26 AM

On shirts they also called portofino cuffs?  Also cocktail cuffs I just discovered.  My friend requested them for a shirt I recently made.

But for a Jacket?  The quest for something different never ceases.  They would bother me.

Apparently, the detail has appeared in modern menswear as early as the 1960s. I've seen much larger gauntlet cuffs on late 17th/early 18th Century men's garments.

[Just saw Schneidergott's comment.]

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#7 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:51 AM

Don't think they are big enough to be gauntlets.

#8 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

I don't like them on this particular jacket but on leisure jackets, overcoats or black tie they can look stunning whit the right proportion.

One drawback is that it is impossible to have sleeve length adjusted on these...

Hello Sealking,

Not impossible, just limited by the amount the sleeves can be shortened by adjusting from the shoulder.  

The sleeve can usually be shortened up to 1.5 inches without too much problem.  As the amount to shorten increases past 1.5 inches, you will encounter more issues around the biceps area of sleeve tightening and giving a flatter appearance. 

1 7/8" to 2" would be the most I would recommend, this depends on the type of cloth and your own judgement. 

Seal King mentioned below, if your considering shortening the sleeves from the shoulder for jacket with checked cloths, be aware that the alignment of the stripes would be offset and out of alignment.

I found it helpful to trim the sleeve lining only half the distance the sleeve is to be shortened.  For example, shorten from shoulder 1.5 inches, cut the sleeve lining .75 inches. 

I have not found this in any books that I have read, I just found this a bit easier while doing these alterations.

You can see how to properly do this sleeve alteration by looking in David Carlin's book.  There used to be a link found in the forum, not sure if it is still available.

Do not attempt this alteration by cutting the sleeve the same measured amount across the top!

Regards

Jeffrey2117

Edited by jeffrey2117, 18 April 2016 - 09:54 PM.

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#9 Matt S

Matt S

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

Why can't the sleeves be adjusted from the end? I can see why not if there's a pattern. But if there's no pattern, can't the cuff just be removed, the sleeve adjusted and the cuff reattached?

#10 sewbot

sewbot

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

Why can't the sleeves be adjusted from the end? I can see why not if there's a pattern. But if there's no pattern, can't the cuff just be removed, the sleeve adjusted and the cuff reattached?

I think the sleeve vent buttonholes would hinder shortening from the bottom of the sleeve.

• jeffrey2117 likes this

#11 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hello Matt S.,

Take a look at the photo of the sleeves, there looks to be five functional buttonholes present that would prevent shortening from the cuff.

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#12 SealKing

SealKing

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Jeffrey, you're right, alterations from the top would always be possible, as long as the cloth is not a check.

• jeffrey2117 likes this

#13 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi Matt S it appears that the cuffs are 'grown on' rather than 'sewn on'. The buttonholes preclude any lengthening from the wrist end.

Shell made out of gold

#14 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Jeffrey, you're right, alterations from the top would always be possible, as long as the cloth is not a check.

Hello Seal King,

I forgot to mention checked cloths would then be thrown out of alignment! 

I will add that to my comment in case anyone misses this comment! 

Jeffrey2117

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turn back cuffs, Anderson & Sheppard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users