101 replies to this topic

#19 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Chris - Absolutely no need to apologise. If one goes into the fora to bat one has to take the balls as they come.
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#20 Chris Kavanaugh

Chris Kavanaugh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

The problem, sometimes you show up in cricket kit and everybody is swinging hurling sticks.

#21 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

The problem, sometimes you show up in cricket kit and everybody is swinging hurling sticks.

Indeed. Very apt!
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#22 eg1

eg1

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

Is the book not available in North America? I can find it on AmazonUK but not on AmazonUSA or Amazon.ca unknw.gif

As for the issue of showing cuffs, I don't know how much is the right amount, but I do like some to be visible.

#23 Chris Kavanaugh

Chris Kavanaugh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

If it is not available directly, I would be interested in any group purchase.

#24 pvpatty

pvpatty

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:History

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I have ordered my copy off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com....em=270367617076
Paul
pvpatty@tpg.com.au

#25 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

It is not yet on amazon.com - it's simply that they are dilatory. The Canadian amazon lists it but says that it is out of stock - German, French and Japanese amazon have got it. Also the original contract for publication was restricted to GB and the Commonwealth - so since the further rights have been granted, there is some catching up to do. The book seems to be for sale on many sites - some discounted and some not - and a search of:

http://uk.search.yah...&ei=UTF-8&rd=r1

brings several up. I am sorry that it is not readily available in the USA - not least since this is the biggest market!!

NJS
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#26 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

In other words, the book is so quintessentially English that it can only be sold in parts of the former Empire. Outside of that it gets quarantined by the CIA for fear that it may stir up anti-Republican sentiments blum.gif

#27 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:01 AM

In other words, the book is so quintessentially English that it can only be sold in parts of the former Empire. Outside of that it gets quarantined by the CIA for fear that it may stir up anti-Republican sentiments :p:

That's a possibility that hadn't occurred to me!! The most amazing thing was a short, thumbs-up review in Maxim magazine (with a little gentle mockery) - in amongst all the soccer books; leading me to believe that the heart of Ye Olde England beats still - especially since, once all the rockers become successful, they seem to opt for bespoke clothing. It is, though, a little annoying that, there have been several inquiries from the USA about availability and even when I have told amazon.com this, they still (inexplicably) drag their heels. Overall though, bearing in mind that the 44th President and his First Lady chose to bow and curtsey to HMTQ (I should think as a mark of personal respect rather than national obeisance), I doubt that the book has been officially banned - if only it were - because I could then retire to the beach, with an inexhaustible supply of large Negronis and Cohiba Lanceros cigars, underneath a nice big parasol.
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#28 pvpatty

pvpatty

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

My copy arrived in the mail this morning, and bravo to NJS!

One small foible though: on page 95 there is a photo of the DoW wearing what is described as a 'single-breasted' jacket, when it would appear to be double-breasted! The horror!
Paul
pvpatty@tpg.com.au

#29 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:28 AM

My copy arrived in the mail this morning, and bravo to NJS!

One small foible though: on page 95 there is a photo of the DoW wearing what is described as a 'single-breasted' jacket, when it would appear to be double-breasted! The horror!

Yes you are right. The picture is to illustrate the collar and lapels but you are right!
best,
NJS
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#30 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

I thought that I'd mention that Country Life has given the book a 3/4 page lead book review in the 20th May issue.

Attached Files

<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#31 voxsartoria

voxsartoria

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

I enjoyed reading it, and I learned a few new things.

- B

#32 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

That's very gratifying to hear and thank you for saying it.
NJS
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#33 pvpatty

pvpatty

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

I finished reading this book last week, and very much enjoyed doing so. Quite a few times was I not only informed, but made to smile.

I will be buying a couple of copies to give to good friends of mine - that is, perhaps, the highest praise I can give.
Paul
pvpatty@tpg.com.au

#34 David V

David V

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

On the subject of cuffs I suppose it depends on how far back one wishes to look. Some may wish to use the years between the Great Wars while others look further back to Edwardian or Victorian eras.
If we look back even further we can see a great deal of linen shown in the 16th and 17th century and it was not unheard of in the late 14th through the 15th centuries.

#35 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

I finished reading this book last week, and very much enjoyed doing so. Quite a few times was I not only informed, but made to smile.

I will be buying a couple of copies to give to good friends of mine - that is, perhaps, the highest praise I can give.

Thank you Paul - there can't be enough fun in the world and, as Hilaire Belloc put it:

"From quiet homes and first beginning,
Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning
But laughter and the love of friends."
best,
NJS
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#36 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Some people have asked me about availability through amazon.com and I am pleased to say that it is listed there from today:

http://www.amazon.co...49265710&sr=8-4

NJS
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users