Photo

Where can I find professional tailors!!??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 craig@paulhenrytailoring

craig@paulhenrytailoring

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone 

I am only new to the forum and my main reason for joining is I am wondering where are all the tailors gone?  my father has over 40 years experience in retail and decided to go out on his own as he wanted to preserve the craft as he calls it of handcrafted clothing here in Ireland.

We currently have two companies our workshop where customers can come and get handcrafted clothing for men and women across a number of different areas which is made onsite here on our premises.

http://paulhenrytailoring.ie/

We also have our school which was created to preserve the art of tailoring and to pass it onto future generations.

http://nationaltailoringacademy.ie/ 

The main point of this ramble though is the fact that we are now looking to expand the business but we are finding it very difficult to find tailors in the real sense of the word.  I would just like to make it clear though we are finding plenty of people who have worked in factories and have plenty of experience but what we need is a true tailor who can make a garment from start to finish.

Would anyone here know a good place to start looking as the more traditional method of posting job adds is not giving many results.

regards

Craig 

• EMTailor1989 likes this

#2 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

Well, thats a good question. How do you get to know other tailors in the biz? Are there conferences that you attend or association type events?

As a theatrical tailor, we realize it is a small world and we network and keep in touch wih colleagues as they move around over the years. It also helps to keep us in the loop about new people coming in and since the work is contract based, people do generally move around quite a bit and come into contact with someone who knows someone else, so word gets around.
If a job comes up, the news travels quickly by word of mouth and networking. Otherwise we (in Canada) have an online job board called work in culture that lists only arts and culture jobs. Another through the government is called Cultureworks.
I guess there is always LinkedIn -there are tailoring and patternmaking groups on that site that have a wider audience, but I have not personally found it useful for my branch of the trade.

Good luck with your searches.

#3 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:23 AM

Hi Craig,

Have you thought about working with the public schools? Start early enough in age, so, by the time they leave, some years later, they are ready. These would be elective classes where those students really interested are drawn to these classes and have learned enough to have value for hiring. Childhood, so to say, is a time of free education for the children. And it has to be presented to boys as a manly career or the boys will not pay attention. Then, there is the bait, of, "The only way you are going to see the young ladies wearing what you want to see them wearing, is, if you design and make those clothes for them". The nimbless fingers are the youngest. Some children started before the age of six. In the past some public schools started classes for thirteen years olds. Waiting for adulthood to start learning is kind of late.
  • jeffrey2117 likes this

#4 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

Bad luck for you. I lived in Dublin from 2001 to 2006 looking for jobs in call centers. I did not even know that a tailor exists in Dublin so unknown is your business since decades. I could have been working in your business since 15 years. Well, in your next life you will know better.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#5 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Always the voice of encouragement DZ. :)

• SPOOKIETOO likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#6 craig@paulhenrytailoring

craig@paulhenrytailoring

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Always great to meet helpful people especially people like DZ  :thumbsup: .  The company is only two years old by the way and we need more staff to expand so might be the reason you could not find us. Everyone else I do appreciate the advice and will keep working on this.

#7 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

Are you looking for tailors for the school or to fulfil orders for garments?

Does the school have a focus on complete garment construction?

For many years I was responsible for conducting "sewing tests" for interested job applicants. These tests were 4 hours long with up to eight applicants doing the test at the same time.
We had all kinds of people apply, from students who had taken fashion design courses, to people with home sewing experience and some with not much more than an interest in the theatre and need for a job.
To be honest, the sewing test was only partly for assessing sewing skills. It had a lot to do with attitude, attention to detail, being able to read the instructions and follow the process as written, and to be comfortable asking questions, to be able to work in a group, to be able to accept instruction when it was given....
People with the skills it takes to be able to tailor come from all backgrounds and walks of life.
I have working with me now, a former teacher of needlecraft originally from Switzerland, another Swiss woman who trained as a master carpenter and a nurse, a former schoolbusdriver, and a former fashion design student.

Every one of the people we hire needs to learn the process (some from almost scratch) and it is quickly obvious whether or not they had the ability to move forward.
The difficulty these days is being able to keep them in the business. We have had budget cutbacks resulting in fewer new hires and the day is fast approaching that some of our most experienced people will retire and we don't seem to have enough newer people coming in who will get enough training before that happens.

i don't think enough people know that this kind of work exists, but I am sure there are many people out there who like to work with their hands (and minds) and I dont feel that it is supported enough through the school system. There has been a big push in the past number of years to get people into the trades, but the emphasis is on plumbers, electricians, carpenters and the like. Garment work rarely if ever comes up.
On the other hand there seems to be a lot more general, hobby interest online in sewing as well as knitting and other hands on arts, so perhaps that will trickle down somehow.
  • tailleuse, jeffrey2117 and Schneiderfrei like this

#8 Nitasha Gupta

Nitasha Gupta

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

you can find professional tailors in bangalore. Epitome Stitches provides online tailoring services to women without having to step out of the house. Whether it is blouses, kurtas, bottoms or salwar suits, Epitome on Call provides excellent Custom Tailoring Services in Bangalore. We provide Doorstep Services as well as Online Tailoring & Stitching Services. 

http://epitomestitches.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users