5 replies to this topic

#1 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

I don't want to appear parasitic but here seems a better place for these. To be clear, I post as a courtesy for others practicing the trade. I'm well over my shear madness and these are extras. Humility set in once I bought six from the son of a tailor who'd've been 85 this year. May I be someday worthy. Having let the listings time out, the photos will remain for a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172631870457

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172631877075

For young people just starting, better to get really good with new shears. The older ones do have character and fit the hand far better, but it's about earning a living and antiques aren't an easy way to achieve that. I did part with a few to a young man in London who promised stewardship and who was vouched for by a respected shirtmaker. References would be appreciated. Best rgds.

#2 Mammothy

Mammothy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Thank you very much. May I inquire of you, if you think these shears are suitable or should be passed?

Ebay Alte Schneiderschere

There are quite a few shears available on the german ebay site.

#3 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

If you know a good sharpening business, ie a trustworthy one.  These would be great.

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#4 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

I agree for a quality, trustworthy edge shop. I've been lucky on the old shears I've picked up, in that they have mostly been sharp, some better than others. If I were cutting all day, or planning to, investing in the ergonomic quality is important. Otherwise, modern shelf-item shears are good enough.

One thing I've considered is hunting down an old machine cutting tool sharpening service. All our area edge shops are closed except for Toledo Ind Sewing and I just haven't needed to try them.

#5 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

I know Hutch has strong views about sharpening shears,

I think a good sharpener will be like a good dentist, and take as little metal away as possible.  My sharpener in Adelaide, Butlers, will not always hollow grind the blades, only if the metal is pitted or distorted. 

They also have to be familiar with tailor shears and not just hairdressing shears.

G

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#6 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

Truty hats off to Hutch. Yup, just enough off to get back to good edge meat. Anymore is waste.

I've a 5N in the bullpen. If I hurry up and get to it, I'll document my resto process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users