#1 alex321

alex321

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hello ,

I have started making gloves, just for myself, but have had to use women's patterns and adjust those.  Unfortunately they still look feminine.

So finally, I wish to make something more masculine.  Can someone recommend a source?  All the books I have managed to find on the subject make out it is easy to get a pattern.  You simply went down the local glove maker and he would sell you one.  Well, clearly that is not the case anymore.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#2 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Derive a pattern out of an old glove.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#3 alex321

alex321

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hello Der Zuschneider,

Thank you for your reply.  I thought about this, but I m concerned that the gloves will have been stretched out of shape, since the leather is very stretchy.

I have tried making a pair of trousers this way and I would say the pieces did not sew together well.... With gloves a few mm makes a difference..

Its funny how times change and what was once ordinary and everyday is now difficult to get or buy.. .Its seems so with glove patterns..

All the best.

Alex

#4 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

IMHO I would approach it thus: First decide how you want the glove to look, I feel the easiest glove to make would be a three-piece- palm, sides and top.  The main concern with gloves is how much ease one need to add for the bending of fingers, thumb and, forming a fist.  I would fix the end of a narrow tape to my wrist and measure how long the fully bent element is, remember to measure the thumb in two directions straight down from the wrist and, diagonally across the back of the hand from the other side of the wrist; there is a little ease needed on this direction.  Bending my hand it seems that the body of the glove would be static in size, the extra length is add to the finger tips.  I should imagine ⅛ inch would be plenty ease for the width ease, seam allowances would be added and sewn on the outside of the glove, or it soft material then inside and trimmed back.

It is an interesting project, I might have a go myself.  Have you searched youTube for an instructional video, I am sure there is one somewhere on there.

#5 peterle

peterle

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

I made my glove pattern myself:

First measure the circumference of your hand by running a tape measure around your hand(more loosely than tight). Be sure to run it over the boney structures at the base of the fingers (wich is the widest part above the thumb)  Draw a sketch of your hand by drawing around your hand on a paper. Fingers slightly spread so the pinkie and the index finger continue the edge of the hands straightly.

Then you have to widen this sketch to half your hand circumference.  The outside edge(pinkie) and the inside edge are parallel from top to the hem. The 3 middle lines of the finger slashes are also parallel. Each finger will be slightly tapered (ladies fingers are usually more tapered). Dont taper the outer edges of the indexfinger and pinky; they stay parallel. My fingers are seperated 1mm at the base and 3mm at the tops. the tops of the middle finger and ring finger will be rounded symmetrically. The  outside curves of the pinkie and of the index finger top reach a bit lower  This is the inside of your pattern.

Fold the piece of paper along the index finger edge. Copy the lines to the new layer. The starting points of the fingers have to be lowered 1cm for the outside.

The thumb hole and the thumb are the hardest part. Best you copy both from your commercial pattern. For the right placement of the thumb hole look where the different points are positioned when wearing a fitting glove and transfer it to your pattern. In my pattern the hole is located 0,5cm to the inside from the folded edge.

For the traditional three rows of decorative stitching mark a point directly 8cm below the meeting point of the middle and ring finger. Left and right of this point mark two points 1,1cm away. These are the starting points of the stitching rows and the stitching aims straightly towards the three finger slash ends.

now the finger-in-between-thingies (name in english?): On the inside part of your pattern measure the outline of the middle finger from slash end point to slash end point with a band measure. Draw a horizontal 2cm line. On the left end draw a perpendicular line. on this line mark a point 1,3cm below the starting line and connect tho the right end of the starting line. on the vertical line mark a point above the starting line; distance is half your finger measurement plus 1cm (when you measured 18cm the distance will be 9+1=10cm). From this point measure 1cm towards the right. Connect to the right end of the starting line. Mark the tip of the part in the middle of the 1cm line and shape the top pointy. This pattern piece is the same for all the fingers. The individual length will be adapted while sewing.

I´ve sewn this pattern with leather sewing about 1,5mm inside of the edges. Seams to the outside of the glove.

#6 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

http://www.glove.org...firstgloves.php

http://www.threadsma...gorgeous-gloves

https://www.wikihow....-Leather-Gloves

there is more than enough out there

lg

posaune

Edited by posaune, 26 November 2017 - 02:54 AM.

#7 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

There's a ton of links to glove patterns online (glove patterns leather), but the point, I'd presume, of making your own is that they are custom-fitted, then custom styled, so any pattern you might start with will have to be scaled and redrawn to your specs. I worked with a custom glove maker many years ago at Threads magazine to try to describe the process; it's in issue #19 (threads magazine issue 19), and it has fairly detailed directions for measuring, customizing and altering, as well as 3 sizes of pattern (for women). It also mentions two books that come with patterns, both cheap on amazon; I can vouch for the first one; haven't seen the other, but it should be easy to find in libraries:

http://tinyurl.com/ycvwo5zd

http://tinyurl.com/ybbueap2

Apparently, Threads ran another article on glove-making also with a few patterns, which are downloadable here:

http://www.threadsma...gorgeous-gloves

Here's a clip from the first article, making the main point I recall from editing it, which is that the stretch of your materials is as critical to the final fit as the pattern itself.

Attached File  Capto 2017-11-24_09-19-12_AM.jpg   132.47KB   1 downloads

This also looks like a great source of personal experience:
http://www.glove.org...firstgloves.php

Edited by dpcoffin, 25 November 2017 - 03:55 AM.

#8 pfaff260

pfaff260

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Everything about tailoring.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Nice book for sale.

https://www.ebay.com...uUAAOSw~HBaJJ01

0 user(s) are reading this topic