7 replies to this topic

#1 Emma

Emma

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

Hi everybody, this is my first time posting and I'm really sorry to ask what I assume is a silly question but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong: I have a length of 16oz barathea which when I press I get vertical wrinkles that look rather like human stretch marks. I london shrank it first, resulting in 2% shrinkage in the length and it looked fine, so it must be faulty pressing on my part. I don't have much experience of heavy wool, hoping somebody might be able to explain what's causing this? Thanks so much, any help would be greatly appreciated! Emma

Attached Files

#2 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Hi everybody, this is my first time posting and I'm really sorry to ask what I assume is a silly question but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong: I have a length of 16oz barathea which when I press I get vertical wrinkles that look rather like human stretch marks. I london shrank it first, resulting in 2% shrinkage in the length and it looked fine, so it must be faulty pressing on my part. I don't have much experience of heavy wool, hoping somebody might be able to explain what's causing this? Thanks so much, any help would be greatly appreciated! Emma

Hello Emma,

Were pressing with steam or dry iron?  What was the condition of the cloth when you pressed it, dry or damp?

Regards

Jeffrey2117

• Schneiderfrei likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#3 Emma

Emma

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hi,

The cloth was dry and I tried pressing with a dry press cloth and a steam iron, then tried with a dry iron and a wet press cloth. If I mist directly on the cloth with a spray bottle then use a dry iron that seems to give a better result so I was wondering if its too much moisture that makes it wrinkle?

Thank you,

Emma

#4 peterle

peterle

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

16 oz is quite heavy and the london shrunk did no harm also. Probably it is just not enough moisture to penetrate the whole thickness? A lighter iron will also probably not produce enough steam even with a moist press cloth, because it cools down too much when steaming the water.

For the heavier weights taylors used  a bundle of slashed fabric and a bowl of water to wet and a heavy iron. (Mine is 4,5 kilos and wonderful with a quite wet press cloth for heavier wool).

• Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#5 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

I would hang the cloth over my bath tube and open the hot water. Get a steamy climat in the room. The fabric will soak up the steam and maybe the "fasern" will stand up again. let it cool there

lg

posaune

• jeffrey2117, Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#6 peterle

peterle

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

Fasern= fibers

#7 Emma

Emma

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

I was using a domestic iron but have just invested in a 3kg steam iron, which I think should help me a lot. Thank you so much for the advice.

#8 Bonnie

Bonnie

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Tailored Suits and Swimsuits, Recuts, Leather, design, recycled fabrics, restoring antique garments.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:38 AM

Hi Emma! Maybe you ironed the wool across the weft (selvage to selvage) and stretched the warp (length of goods ^) so the stretch marks happened. When you have a heavy verical feed steam iron with an iron shoe (at least a diffuser) you can really iron hard and vigorus on some scraps and see what happens. Then fix it on the scrap. You'll get it with practice. It's all in the hand and your technique. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users