#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

The Rundschau Journal

I was recently thinking to myself that Rundschau is the only cutting and tailoring journal left of any note. Maybe there is something in Italian I am unaware of, but I doubt it.

There was a time when in London alone there was Minister's Gazette, The Tailor and Cutter, The West-End Gazette, The London Tailor, and The Ladies' Cutter. In Germany there was die Schneidermeister, die Allgemeine Schneiderzeitung, die Europäische Modezeitung and das Schneiderhandwerk. Many of these German publications went back to the 19th century and were associated with some regional tailors' guild/association. In return for membership, you got a regular rag in the mail. As bespoke tailors started to dwindle in number, the associations vanished and the journals stopped publishing as the readership evaporated.

So that just leaves Rundschau standing all alone. I know that there have been some whining about it not being what it used to be in the Good Old Days :rolleyes: , but think about it - if Rundschau goes the way of The Cutter and Tailor, that's it. Game over. So please seriously think about supporting the last remaining professional tailoring journal left in the world.

There are two versions - one for men and another for women. I subscribe to both myself. The easiest way to subscribe is directly from the Müller & Sons website.

You can shop and order in English as well. They have other products you may want to take a look at.

For the men's Rundschau click here.

For the women's Rundschau click here.

1. Jahresabo means "annual subscription" (short for "Jahres-Abonnement").
2. Region: choose "Ausland" (overseas) from the menu.
3. Once you have chosen the "Ausland" option the next pulldown menu that says "Sprache" (language) will then allow you the option of either getting the Dutch (Holländisch), Danish, or English (Englisch) version sent to you.

Check out is in English, although rather awkwardly translated, it is still comprehensible.

Rundschau Books

Those interested in the first English edition of their book on cutting for ladies can now purchase it through their on-line store here.

The shirt cutting book can be found here. However, it is in German only, but those who have studied the English translation of the vintage Rundschau shirt system should still be able to make good use of the book.

The men's coat cutting book is only available in German. However, if you have studied the vintage Rundschau cutting system translations made available on the forum, you should be able to follow the book without too much trouble. The versions made available on the forum are up to 60 years old, and the system has undergone innumerable updates since that time. If you wish to remain up-to-date you must purchase the latest publications.

Another men's pattern making book. Rundschau go out and interview a whole lot of tailors, mostly German but also one Savile Row tailor and covers a miscellanea of topics related to the cutting and fitting of trousers waistcoats, and coats. Highly recommended but sadly in German only.

A book on making up tips. Highly recommended, although in German only (no English version available sadly). There are lots of excellent diagrams that might make it a worthwhile purchase for those who can't read the text anyway.

#2 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Sator, did you order Rundschau? Can you recommend it? Or is it obsolete?
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yes, I do get the German edition. It's worth taking a look at sometimes for ideas.

#4 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

Actually, when you have those magazine for a while and a few other books for looking then you sorted out with cutting resources.
There is not too much someone needs to cut a sakko. I will order them as well. MM is publishing a new cutting book for men in 3/4Q 2010, might be worth buying even if it expensive.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 21 February 2010 - 12:14 AM.

#5 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

The broken links have been fixed up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

#6 Kim Pattern

Kim Pattern

Umsie

• Senior Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

I recently ordered few books from their site. But it seems their international order procedure is quite slow or stunned.
It's almost one week past from when I ordered and what I only got is just order confirmation mail in German language.

#7 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I recently ordered few books from their site. But it seems their international order procedure is quite slow or stunned.
It's almost one week past from when I ordered and what I only got is just order confirmation mail in German language.

If you ordered the new cutting books they are only preordered and will be published in march. Also the shipping takes long time.

#8 Kim Pattern

Kim Pattern

Umsie

• Senior Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

If you ordered the new cutting books they are only preordered and will be published in march. Also the shipping takes long time.

Well, I ordered Rundschau subscriptions and new HAKA and new historical HAKA at same time.
But they never gave me back any feedback.
Do you think they will give me an another email in March?
And How long does the international shipping take usually?

#9 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

It takes about 3 weeks if it goes by ship - I guess. The journal will come by air mail (In Germany end of a month). Ask them! They are friendly but not very international experienced. They will learn. :)
lg
posaune

Edited by posaune, 20 February 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#10 Tony Rutherford

Tony Rutherford

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Rundschau have started a beginners cutting course in their magazine this month.

Starting with the front of a trouser draft they promise over the coming months to go through all the basic blocks.

As a subscriber in England the issues come with a handy English translation. Having struggled over the past year with repeated drafts, Google translator, and a little sweat and tears this is fantastic news . I thoroughly recommend anyone trying to grasp this system to subscribe.

Tony x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users