2 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

Anyone who knows fine cloth will know of Harrisons-LBD. Judging by old Tailor and Cutter ads, George Harrisons and Lear-Browne-Dunsford seem to have originally been separate companies. Harrisons of Edinburgh was founded in 1863 by Sir George Harrison who began his career as an apprentice with an Edinburgh tailor. Lear-Brown-Dunsford has been in business since 1895, and sells both cloths as well as tailorís trimmings and accessories. The business is now solely owned by the fourth generation of the Dunsford family. Porter and Harding were founded in 1947 and are included today under the Harrisons-LBD umbrella, after being acquired by Lear-Browne-Dunsford in 1993. The Harrisons-LBD group remains independent like Dugdale. Here are some vintage ads from 1949 and 1950:

Posted Image

Posted Image

What I have seen of the collective offerings from the group have been exceptional. I don't think I have seen a book from Harrisons I don't like. The lining collection from LBD is one of the loveliest you will ever see - something overdue for review.

What is more the service from Harrisons is excellent. Penny at Harrisons is always helpful and friendly. Service is lightening fast. In fact, I just noticed this post from Jeffreyd today:

http://tuttofattoama...-merchants.html

Watch out too for a review of the Harrison's overcoating book soon. There is something of real character in everything they do. I hope to showcase a great deal more of what they have to offer.

Current contact details are as follows:

http://www.lbd-harri...com/index2.html
LBD House
Waterbridge Court
Matford Park Road
Exeter EX2 8ED
England

Tel: 00 44 (0)-1392 822 510
Fax: 00 44 (0)-1392 823 270

Email: post@lbd-harrisons.com
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

"Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

#2 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:21 AM

Lightning fast service, as in, I placed the order for the cloth for this suit one week ago today

Posted Image

and yes, I'm going to fix the back, now that I see it. It's 39190 in the woolen flannel bunch.

This is 74101 in the P&B Universal bunch.

Posted Image

A note of caution about the P&B- I was not used to working with coarser weaves like this and had some slippage problems with the buttonholes. Otherwise makes up quite well.

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

Another T&C ad for George Harrison & Co:

Posted Image
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

"Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users