4 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

I just loved this one. Harrold hurries to shave, puts on tie, detachable collar and morning coat with striped trousers when he hears guests are arriving. But, nobody arrives. Soon he tosses off his collar, and before long he is back to his old pipe and dressing gown. Of course, the guests eventually do turn up! LMAO.gif

Unfortunately, these days Harrold would have already been "overdressed" by modern standards before he even shaved.
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

"Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

#2 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

This is absolutely true - and one thing that puzzles me about it all is the fact that many people will change clothes for the evening - especially if they are expecting guests or going out - but a consensus has grown that, even though a lounge suit, shirt and tie takes no less time to put on than a DJ-tuxedo, soft shirt and evening tie - a DJ-tuxedo is over-dressing for the evening and so men often end up wearing dark suits while the ladies do often wear passable if abbreviated evening frocks. This is a pity. I have said it before and I say it again the rot had got hold by 1970.
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

Here's another cartoon you'll like, NJS:

Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

#4 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

BTW both cartoons come from:

http://www.amazon.co...o...1376&sr=8-2

The price was off putting but worth it. You will probably enjoy reading it even if the intended audience was quite different. It gives a sartorial history of Britain from a retail historian's perspective.

#5 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Most amusing - it also reminds us that the world has lost a good deal of innocence too.
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users