solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

There's one for sale at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3ccc149bc2

I found a copy on Amazon.fr for 50 EUR (now it's saying it's out of stock, so it looks like I got the last one).

I'm holding my breath until it ships though. :/ So I maybe bidding on the ebay copy soon if there's an issue.

If I'm able to get ahold of it I plan to scan it and since it is now out of print I will make it available to the moderators here.
So we can keep using it, but I won't post it in case it comes back in print.

Similar to the Liberty book, but not so open that if it is reprinted we can't stop distributing it.

Edited by solarmist, 06 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#20 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

The price for the linked-to book (when I last checked it) was $60.

I'm guessing he meant $90. The shipping on that book is ridiculous.

#21 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

I'm guessing he meant $90. The shipping on that book is ridiculous.

Oh. I didn't notice.. Thanks.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#22 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'm really surprised that the Cabrera men's tailoring book is out of print. I would have thought there was enough demand. Maybe a new book is under consideration?

I mailed Fairchild about it, I'm afraid the reply was none too encouraging. Perhaps if members here mail them and ask about it it might encourage them to reissue it:

From:Sandra Washington (Sandra.washington(at)bloomsbury.com) Posted ImageSent:09 November 2012 14:06:31To:

Hello Micheal,

Thank you for your interest in Fairchild Books. There is no plans to republish this title at this time.

Regards
Sandra

Edited by ladhrann, 13 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#23 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

If they want to avoid the costs of printing they might consider making it an e-book sort of thing!

And the final price of that Cabrera hardback book is insane!

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#24 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

If they want to avoid the costs of printing they might consider making it an e-book sort of thing!

I know. I won it. :/

Since they don't plan it republish then I will do what I can to help make it available like members have done with other out of print books.

Edited by solarmist, 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#25 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

At least you got a copy with proper pictures in it. The ones in the more common paperback version look like those on poor xerox copies.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

#26 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I think myself that in cases like this dowloading copies should be actively encouraged as the companies concerned are depriving interested parties of the chance to purchase legally. They are effectively making it impossible to access information necessary to students and professionals.

#27 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

While I see your point, the active "encouragement" cannot happen here on the forum, at least not publicly...
I think that those people interested should write to the publisher and ask for an e-copy to be made available. I know that there will be concerns about people sharing the file, but I'm sure that's going to happen with or without the publisher's permission anyway. And since many of those interested do not know of one another it might become profitable enough. To me it makes more sense than doing nothing.

#28 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I am a bit uncomfortable about posting the Cabrera book. I think there is a difference between posting a book that has just gone out of print and may see a re-print in the near future vs a rare book that has been out of print for decades and is likely never to be printed ever again—especially when the original publisher may have gone out of business.

The ladies' version of the Cabrera book is fairly similar in content to the men's tailoring book. I would suggest purchasing that as a substitute and to keep pushing the publisher to re-print or issue an eBook version.

#29 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I am a bit uncomfortable about posting the Cabrera book. I think there is a difference between posting a book that has just gone out of print and may see a re-print in the near future vs a rare book that has been out of print for decades and is likely never to be printed ever again—especially when the original publisher may have gone out of business.

The ladies' version of the Cabrera book is fairly similar in content to the men's tailoring book. I would suggest purchasing that as a substitute and to keep pushing the publisher to re-print or issue an eBook version.

Well, they have denied they have any plans to republish and to the best of my knowledge that company doesn't do ebooks.

How about like I first suggested and give copies to the moderators to distribute to only upon request or until a new edition is printed?

Edited by solarmist, 16 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#30 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Be careful of copyright infringement, they monitor sites such as this, for exactly that reason.
Its all well and good trying to help people, but those people will not be around when you lose everything you have worked so hard to build.
Its unfair that people are asking you to do this.

#31 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sartor:

I think yours is exactly the right approach. The fact that the company says today it is not going to reissue the book doesn't mean it might not revisit the issue another day or decide to use the material in some other form. It or the authors still hold the copyright.

#32 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Sartor:

I think yours is exactly the right approach. The fact that the company says today it is not going to reissue the book doesn't mean it might not revisit the issue another day or decide to use the material in some other form. It or the authors still hold the copyright.

That's entirely your decision and I'll respect it, but the forum already contains scans of out of print books newer than 1923 (which is the newest date for copyright expiration), so what's being discussed has already happened. And I'm sure I've seen books that are newer than the 1970's here as well.

The problem I see is that more and more men's tailoring books are going out of print and into the legal gray area of orphaned books; they're still under copyright, no one wants to release them into the public domain and no one wants to print them, so there's no legal way to obtain these books (and few libraries have them since they're a quite specialized area of knowledge). So, this is going to be yet another book that will be forgotten by time.

Can anyone name any respected, in-print men's tailoring books in English besides Making Trousers for Men & Women?

Unless someone can convince the publisher there's demand for AT LEAST several thousand books I doubt they can be convinced to republish, even a couple of thousand orders might not be enough for a republish (that would be barely worth their time). I believe the reason they've stopped publishing it is because FIT no longer uses it as a textbook so there is no longer a steady demand for it and they probably aren't interested in a one time order of a few hundred or thousand books. The only way I can see them reprinting is if they can find a market with a constant and steady demand for the book above several hundred books a year.

The only 100% legal alternative I see would be writing an open textbook on tailoring (which many of us would love to see happen).

The forum should decide how it wants to support people that want to learn by self-tuition because of all the books listed only two appear to be in print currently (by looking at amazon.com) Making Trousers for Men & Women: A Multimedia Sewing Workshop, and Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Women's Wear.

#33 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Be careful of copyright infringement, they monitor sites such as this, for exactly that reason.
Its all well and good trying to help people, but those people will not be around when you lose everything you have worked so hard to build.
Its unfair that people are asking you to do this.

The book industry (the movie and music industries are the bullies) doesn't really monitor sites except for very high profile books like Harry Potter or Twilight. Plus, they are much less interested in out-of-print books being distributed for free, so I highly doubt anyone will care about what happens on this site. If they did it would've already happened.

That said you are correct it is copyright infringement, but it has already been committed several times in these forums. Any book newer than 1923 that was properly copyrighted is still protected even if the publisher went out of business and everyone that had a claim to the book is deceased (might be a small exaggeration).

#34 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

All that said I'm extremely grateful for all the material that has been posted here.

As J Maclochlainn mentions in the self-tuition thread this is not a place for tutorials,
so I would've given it up as impossible without an apprenticeship without the wealth of information posted here.

I applaude everyone here for making it possible to study and learn at least some basics of tailoring by self-tuition.

#35 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I believe the reason they've stopped publishing it is because FIT no longer uses it as a textbook so there is no longer a steady demand for it and they probably aren't interested in a one time order of a few hundred or thousand books.

That's possible. I've taken evening and weekend classes at FIT on and off for a few years and there's never been a required textbook. (Maybe they think you spend enough money on fees and supplies. Posted Image ) I buy books because I l like to have some background and I enjoy collecting books on sewing and tailoring, but the teacher has always taught his or her own method.

Someone once asked the former head of the Menswear Department for a good book on shirt making and he told her there weren't any in English.

#36 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Unless someone can convince the publisher there's demand for AT LEAST several thousand books I doubt they can be convinced to republish, even a couple of thousand orders might not be enough for a republish (that would be barely worth their time). I believe the reason they've stopped publishing it is because FIT no longer uses it as a textbook so there is no longer a steady demand for it and they probably aren't interested in a one time order of a few hundred or thousand books. The only way I can see them reprinting is if they can find a market with a constant and steady demand for the book above several hundred books a year.

I had an interesting conversation tonight with a friend who is an author.
It is likely that the original publishers do not own the rights to the book anymore.
All contracts for publishing are finite and after the set time in the contract, the copyright reverts to the creator of the work.
There is usually some sort of clause or condition for the reversion of copyright to the author. In this case, Cabrera, or his estate likely hold the copyright. There may be multiple copyright holders as well, in the case of a book with photographs or illustrations those may be copyrighted separately from the text.
So, it isn't as straightforward as it may seem to "re-publish" a book. Too bad though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users