149 replies to this topic

#37 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hosteks books are about the best out there and still available, however they are not easy for the complete beginner.
  • tailleuse likes this

#38 solarmist

solarmist

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hosteks books are about the best out there and still available, however they are not easy for the complete beginner.

Actually, they aren't still available. Not as bad as Cabrera though.

I stand corrected. http://stanleyhostek...ook-collection/

Edited by solarmist, 26 November 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#39 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I had an interesting conversation tonight with a friend who is an author.
It is likely that the original publishers do not own the rights to the book anymore.
All contracts for publishing are finite and after the set time in the contract, the copyright reverts to the creator of the work.
There is usually some sort of clause or condition for the reversion of copyright to the author. In this case, Cabrera, or his estate likely hold the copyright. There may be multiple copyright holders as well, in the case of a book with photographs or illustrations those may be copyrighted separately from the text.
So, it isn't as straightforward as it may seem to "re-publish" a book. Too bad though.

Copywright exists up until 70 years after the death of the author!

#40 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I actually thought it was 75 years. Anyway, if no provisions are made in regards to how to handle the content of an authors work after death, the information could remain in legal or publishing limbo and unavailable until it reverts to the public domain.
This is just my understanding of it.

#41 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

News on Cabrera, I got an email there from Fairchild Publishing:

• Fairchild Publishing - Cabrera‏

Iím happy to let you know that we are reprinting this book while we work to revise it.

The book should become available within the next couple of weeks.

Kind regards,

#42 Michael~

Michael~

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

That's great news as the cheapest copy I can currently find is near £60 for the Carbrera book. I'm sure the book will be a fair amount cheaper than that once the publisher has it made available again. Thank you so much for that information, while I'm not a cheap skate I dislike lining other peoples pockets with ridiculous amounts of money for them just reselling a book.

#43 Michael~

Michael~

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

I have even better news, it appears that the Carbrera book is available for purchase from the publisher (www.fairchildbooks.com) for $67.50 to US & Canada residents. Delivery to other countries doesn't appear to be available at current.

I state 'appears' because I was able to add the book to cart, but unable to place an actual order as I live outside of the US & Canada.

Edited by Michael~, 01 April 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#44 Kleermaker

Kleermaker

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:(Attempting to) cut and tailor men's wear

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have even better news, it appears that the Carbrera book is available for purchase from the publisher (www.fairchildbooks.com) for $67.50 to US & Canada residents. Delivery to other countries doesn't appear to be available at current.

I state 'appears' because I was able to add the book to cart, but unable to place an actual order as I live outside of the US & Canada.

Hi Michael,

The Cabrera books are both available on Amazon ( also amazon.de if you're in Europe and want free shipping) at $69 each. I bought the guide for women's wear two weeks ago.

#45 Michael~

Michael~

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi Michael,

The Cabrera books are both available on Amazon ( also amazon.de if you're in Europe and want free shipping) at $69 each. I bought the guide for women's wear two weeks ago.

Great to see that they're back down to a decent price. I'm waiting on the Hostek books to turn up and will order the Cabrera ones in the next week or so.

#46 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Great to see that they're back down to a decent price. I'm waiting on the Hostek books to turn up and will order the Cabrera ones in the next week or so.

Hello Michael,

I read some of the earlier posts and see that the publisher is revising the Cabrera book at this time. I wonder what the revisions will hold?

While also looking online, I see that some folks on Amazon are selling Mr. Hostek's books for 164.- 208. dollars each, one person bought the book on hand stitches and paid 164.50 for it, he wrote in his review of the product that he thought that was too high a price.

I would suggest to any new persons who may read this post to just go to Mr. Hostek's website to purchase his books.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey2117
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#47 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

That's the downside of using a search engine that gets paid for showing results from a large corporation first.
Funny though, when you search for Stanley Hostek books his website shows up at the top...

They have to add something interesting to the "new" Cabrera edition. It's an old trick, just like adding "new" scenes to an otherwise well known movie (first Star Wars episodes for example, laser beams got different colours and I think they added a CGI creature or two).
Hopefully the new edition provides pictures of better quality (and not the poor Xerox style images of the paperback edition).
  • tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#48 A. Ferrell

A. Ferrell

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

My copy of the Cabrera book just arrived at home from Amazon. I can't wait to get home and check it out.

• tailleuse likes this

#49 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

My copy of the Cabrera book just arrived at home from Amazon. I can't wait to get home and check it out.

I have a feeling that it's the same book, just a new edition.  You should give us a review of the print quality if nothing else.  Post a couple of pages and I'll compare them with my book to see if there are any differences. 

On Amazon, Sator wrote a good review of the Cabrera guide to women's wear.  Some reviewers had claimed it was identical to the men's version, which isn't correct.

Edited by tailleuse, 11 June 2013 - 10:07 PM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#50 A. Ferrell

A. Ferrell

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

It'll probably have to wait for the weekend for me to post some pages, but I flipped through it last night. The directions are very clear, which is nice. Interesting that the order of garments in the book are jacket, vest, trousers. Even if you were going to jump into making an entire suit for the first time, I would think it would be best to start with the trousers and get a feel for the cloth before moving on to the other garments.

#51 MattCash

MattCash

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Strangely, that Fairchildbooks.com site won't let me order books.  Their credit card form won't accept my name because it is too long (my forum name here is a shortened version of my real life name).  I never had that problem before!

#52 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

For interest, I have just come across a tailoring book in my collection entitled -

'Modern Custom Tailoring for Men' by A Waisman and Master Designer.

Published by - The Master designer, Chicago, USA. Printed in 1962

I bought this many years ago and have just come across it today. I seems to cover the usual items -Coats, trousers, vests.

it is about A5 in size and spiral bound with soft card covers. There may be other copies out there somewhere.

#53 A. Ferrell

A. Ferrell

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

For interest, I have just come across a tailoring book in my collection entitled -

'Modern Custom Tailoring for Men' by A Waisman and Master Designer.

Published by - The Master designer, Chicago, USA. Printed in 1962

I bought this many years ago and have just come across it today. I seems to cover the usual items -Coats, trousers, vests.

it is about A5 in size and spiral bound with soft card covers. There may be other copies out there somewhere.

Is that a later edition of this book? http://www.cutterand...?showtopic=1453

#54 A. Ferrell

A. Ferrell

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

Here are some photos I took of my new edition of Cabrera. I didn't want to scan directly, in order to avoid copyright issues, but you should be able to tell from these photos whether any page changes or additions have occurred since previous editions. You can click on the photos to enlarge.

cabrera1sm.jpg

cabrera2sm.jpg

cabrera3sm.jpg

cabrera4sm.jpg

cabrera5sm.jpg

cabrera6sm.jpg

• tailleuse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users