#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

It should be noted that they mention a cashmere overcoat. However, the concept of the "polo coat", which is a just a fully belted Ulster is an Americanism. Brooks Brothers one year decided to market their Ulster overcoats under the name of " The Polo Coat" and in America the name has caught on and the term "polo coat" is used by Americans as a generic term for a Ulster. There is nothing to say, however, that the overcoat worn in between chukkas should be a belted Ulster or any other specific style.

#2 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

It might be a derivative of an even older game on the North West Frontier of Kashmir. My wife claims that her ancestors used the severed heads of their defeated enemies as balls and wore the shalwah-kameez (slinging a Kashmiri shawl around themselves between chukkas - but this was plainly before the British brought their modern rules of fair play and (of course, dress), to the game...). She gave me a sapphire-mounted paperweight (which I invariably use for my work), and it bears a remarkable resemblance to a shrunken head from Borneo (the sapphires are in the eye sockets). However, close inspection suggests that its incredibly compacted state might, very easily, be explained by frequent - and enthusiastic - battering by a polo-stick: something of: "Old, unhappy, far off things...and battles long ago..."

Edited by NJS, 26 February 2010 - 11:44 AM.

<b></b>NJS<b></b>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users